Preservation SOS Member

Protecting the Urban Core and building a grassroots movement

Post by iloveionia » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Like the Facebook page to see how you can support:
https://www.facebook.com/protectingthej ... e=bookmark

On MetroJacksonville:

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/ ... n.html#new
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Protecting the Urban Core and building a grassroots move

Post by Gloria » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:26 pm

An email I sent out to some people today:

This ordinance, in effect, changes the role of code enforcement from securing unsafe structures to demolishing structurally sound homes. If a home is vacant for more than 2 years, then no longer does it have to pose a threat to public safety to be demolished. (And how long are foreclosed houses sitting out there now?)

The unfortunate consequence of this legislation will be the areas of the urban core, Durkeeville, East Jacksonville and the other historic African American neighborhoods whose vacant treasures are sitting without any protection. This legislation, I fear, will target these older but "non historic" homes in the urban core.

Springfield is also at risk as a quick look at the end of the ordinance requires that landmarks and other historic homes be mothballed in 2 months or face abatement activities. Many historic and landmark homes are owned by out of town investors who are non-compliant in property maintenance. The neighborhood will lose these homes as well.

But the effects of this legislation go beyond the urban core and can affect neighborhoods throughout the city. Just think, if a house sits vacant for two years, it can be demolished simply because it is vacant.

My grandmother taught me to take care of my belongings -- not to throw away perfectly good possessions. Why the city wants to destroy its safe affordable housing stock is beyond me. It is very wasteful and not sustainable in the least. The landfills don't need to be crowded with homes that could easily house Jacksonville's families. Instead, let's repair these homes and get heartbeats back into the urban core and in all the houses sitting vacant in this city.

This ordinance is bad for Jacksonville on many levels -- its history, its affordable housing stock, its sustainably goals.

Please share your thoughts about this with me. Thank you so much.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Protecting the Urban Core and building a grassroots move

Post by iloveionia » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:48 am

Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne