Rehab Info Package for Realtors and potential buyers

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

Scribeo

Rehab Info Package for Realtors and potential buyers

Post by Scribeo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 am

This was an idea prompted by Gloria's Concept Design post on Facebook and she suggested I repeat it over here for discussion. I hope this is the right forum for this kind of thread/idea - if not, will one of the moderators please move it to the appropriate forum?

Concept Design created a very inspiring sketch of a Before and After for the endangered structure on N Laura St. I'd wager that most people living in Springfield are pretty good at seeing potential in the historic homes in our neighborhood, know what there is to know about the great bones and charm most of them come with, not to mention how well they clean up and the great community you are buying into. They also have a great in to the resources and knowledge needed to consider rehabbing such a property.

However, what we really need to do is get the word out to potential buyers who aren't from Springfield:
What would be great to have is a help package for people who'd love to live in a historic home or are just looking for a big home in an urban neighborhood but feel overwhelmed by the thought of a rehab.
We need a brochure with advice and resources such as contractors experienced in rehabbing historic homes, home inspectors who know their way around a historic home, etc., information about rehab loans (streamlined and regular) and their application process and a simple overview over HPC regulations (example, fence requirements, etc.) together with Before and After of finished rehabs (maybe even with a simplified budget?) and design concepts like the one created for the N Laura St home to show it is possible to rehab such a structure even without a million dollars in the bank.

Maybe this info package could be provided to the big realty firms and the realtors working in Jacksonville or made accessible on a web page. Maybe it could even be turned into an article for the TU, a magazine or an E-zine?

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Rehab Info Package for Realtors and potential buyers

Post by jbm32206 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:35 pm

A friend, Crissie, who is a Realtor has been working on a package, pretty much what you're talking about. It includes information about buying an old house, and levels of financing it would take to get it to various levels. I just saw her and we were talking about it this morning.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

karla
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by karla » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:21 pm

GREAT idea and something that is being kicked around now. Just need to get all the resources together to make it complete.

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

What a great idea, Micha. Great minds think alike because, as Joan said, this also came up a meeting this morning. It must be in the air. :-)

Would you like to help with it? Just post here if you want to help work on it. I know we could use volunteers if you have the time. You have great ideas.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Agree.
Great idea.
I see it as a "Welcome Package"
A way to navigate our historic district.
"Springfield for Dummies."
Tee Hee.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Scribeo

Post by Scribeo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:43 pm

I'd love to help in any way I can - well, that is if Gloria thinks I'll have any spare time left in the next couple of months :o) All signs are pointing to us closing on our own little piece of Springfield on Friday!

But yes, I'd love to help - even if it's just asking all the questions a "newbie" might come up with :o)

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:47 pm

We are all new to this. Our organization is less than a year old. We'd love to have you begin the rehab package. Just jump on in and use this forum if you like. We will put our 2 cents in and lead you along the way.

You will have plenty of time.

We never sleep :lol:
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake