Help for Neighbor in Need

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

KarenK

Help for Neighbor in Need

Post by KarenK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure if SOS helps in these situations since it doesn't technically involve a "house" but it does entail someone's "home". Some of you know about the red brick 4 plex that is at the corner of 2nd and Hubbard. I know most of the residents there (including lovely Elizabeth and her dog - Rounder - who SACARC and friends have helped on numerous occasions).

Anyway, there is another gentleman who lives in the bldg - Raymond. He has some sort of disorder possibly OCD, bipolar and/or the like? He is super friendly and considerate and clean. He used to worked at the Market on 8th & Hubbard until they shut down some many months ago. He has been unemployed ever since. He has been searching for low level work at the local fast food joints, etc but to no avail. He has housing assistance (this place is subsidized) and some disability check but no more unemployment, etc. One of the residents in this 4 plex has some beef with everyone and is always calling the landlords to complain (even re sweet Elizabeth). This time she called one too many times on Ray and he has been notified by the LL that he must move out by July 31 at the end of his lease term. He really has no place to go but is working on finding other assisted housing in the neighborhood.

I am requesting help for him to move. He has furniture and is worried about losing it since he doesn't have any transportation. We would just need to schedule some manpower and trucks to help get him to his new place around end of July.

Thank you, Karen

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Help for Neighbor in Need

Post by iloveionia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey Karen, thanks for posting.
We have something we have instilled called "Helping Hands." And helping Raymond seems to fit this mold. We are meeting this week (SOS Board) and will discuss how we can help Raymond. Thanks for thinking of us. Email preservationsos@yahoo.com so I have your email, and I will respond in kind after we meet.

On a personal note, you stated the move would take place in July. I have a truck and can help in July.

Nicole
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Thnx, Nicole! I will send email.
Thank you,

movedsouth
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by movedsouth » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:05 pm

If all it takes is a truck and a couple people to help moving, I don't see a problem.

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:30 pm

<gloria>

We have some muscle. No problem, we'd be glad to help.

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 pm

If I'm here, I'll of course, help...but if it's in the summer...I'll more than likely be out of town
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:45 pm

And there you have it Karen. . . . .
plenty of help.
:-)
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:41 pm

Me, too, me too!

KarenK

Post by KarenK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:24 am

Thank you all very much! I'll keep you posted....