jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Prospective Make it Happen Homes

Post by jmarkusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm

<Gloria here>

Ron and Carolyn, 342 East 5th Street, 674-7629

upstairs bedroom

They need a new roof -- I asked Wolf to go by and look at it to see if he could repair it, but he pointed out that the tarp was secured by strips of wood and nailed on the metal roof. So, if it was bad before, it will really be bad when the tarp is removed.

His only suggestion is to retarp which he would charge about $500.00 to do.

They do have this nice lot

Right on the corner. Perhaps they could trade the lot for a new roof.

I haven't priced a new metal roof in a long time, so I don't know, but I do know it is more than we have.

It has to be metal b/c according to Ron there is skip decking (he says he can see the metal in the roof). The roof would have to be covered with plywood b/f it could be shingled and probably the structural elements would have to be fortified. So metal would be the cheapest.

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:11 pm

The house is in danger from the roof leak.

There are several spots in the upstairs back bedroom which have significant leaks. You can begin to see the damage in the soffit on the exterior.

Ron has been working around the house, doing what he can do (and lugging his oxygen behind him), but this is too great, obviously.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:46 pm

Lord Almighty.

This is a lovely home on the outside. And they really do their best to make it look pretty, and it is!! Bless their hearts.

Just some thoughts and information:
They owe 2009 taxes. Fortunately their taxes are extremely low at $323/year. I don't know how fast Jax works, but would a new roof increase their property taxes? Seeings as how a permit would need to be pulled? Maybe repairs don't increase prop. taxes?

That's a lot of tarp up there.

The GIS Map shows 342 as one whole lot. Not 2 separate lots. Does Jax allow splitting up a lot as this and selling a portion? Would it be a buildable lot? If they could sell it, they would get enough to re-roof the house completely. The lot could go for $8K.

Any ideas of who to contact in the city about programs that may (I know, it's a long shot,) be available to help them? Are there any Springfield roofing companies? You know, someone local. I got a new roof on Ionia (right down to the framing,) and it cost me almost $8,000.

I think it is obvious that folks need help, but we can't always help them by doing the labor. BUT, maybe we can work as advocates, to get them what they need. I just don't want to turn folks away.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Yes, you can split lots.

Jacksonville Housing Partnership is one of the orgs who does work for elderly folks and she would qualify, I'm sure.

The neighborhood division of the planning dept is the resource here.

There are programs out there probably a long long waiting list. But who knows?
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:46 pm

I just had a new roof and it ran about 14 grand, so this is way out of our ball park...I'm not sure what we can really do to help
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:55 pm

Agreed Joan. But I'd like to be an advocate for this home and this couple. I'll start researching and making some calls. It's important. From an SOS perspective, and just for me personally.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:31 pm

I also agree, Joan.

We can find out who can help them. Nicole, Builder's Care may do this too.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:53 pm

I noticed he has a veteran hat on in the photo...perhaps there's some help via that angle....just trying to think....
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Good ideas ladies. I'm on it.

movedsouth
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by movedsouth » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:08 am

iloveionia wrote: They owe 2009 taxes. Fortunately their taxes are extremely low at $323/year. I don't know how fast Jax works, but would a new roof increase their property taxes? Seeings as how a permit would need to be pulled? Maybe repairs don't increase prop. taxes?
Even if the value increases, the actual taxes they pay should still only rise by the capped amount (3% per year or whatever it is) as long as this is their residence and homesteaded.

I have to check with Hailing on the roof. She just got a similar one done on Walnut. I don't think we can do more then re-tarping and even that would be a lot for us (Gloria brought up a good point about the insurance). Personally I am having issues with ladders, never mind climbing on roofs.