Prospective Make it Happen Homes

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Prospective Make it Happen Homes

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Today's HPC meeting proves that they all have come to their collective senses (including SPAR). All deferred.

Who hired the structural engineer (or should I say, who paid for it?) Who owns Ionia?
EMC Mortgage has owned it since 2007.

Other than that, a good news day in the neighborhood for houses, to say the least.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:57 pm

I posted this on another thread entitled "Neighbor to Neighbor in this "Make It Happen topic board, this is a suggestion for a Make It Happen Project:

Catherine Hunt (Cathy Campbell's mom) suggested
1611 Laura Street.
She didn't know much about the property or owner, just her observations and appearance that the older woman who lives there needs help.
http://apps.coj.net/pao_propertySearch/ ... 0714010000
I'll have to talk to Catherine more. Just throwing it out there if someone wants to do a "drive-by."

Debbie also suggested this house based on a conversation with a resident/friend of Springfield.

I will email Catherine and see if she has the time to get a little more information. I will email code and ask for a case file if one exists.
Stay tuned.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:06 pm

I would hold off on contacting code, until we get further information about the resident and house, as well as what's needed. Let's not draw attention, if it's not warranted.
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:22 pm

The one I meant is at 7th and Laura, so it looks like we have two bungalows that can use a little love.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:38 pm

+bump

Looking for suggestions for the next Make It Happen home.
Please email preservationsos@yahoo.com with an address and explanation of why you think the house is a good candidate.

Preservation is the key, so make it a good one!
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:02 pm

Lisa Simon spoke to me about a house that is owned by an elderly man whose wife has cancer. He has a problem with his roof which is tough, I know, but I'd like to investigate what their needs are. It may be a simple fix up there, but who knows.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:52 pm

See what you find out Gloria.

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm

<gloria here>

I'm going over to talk to Ron and Carolyn of 342 E. 5th St., a house referred by Lisa Simon.

A bit of a problem is that they have a roof issue. They have a hole in the roof which needs repair and then the roof needs to be coated with sealant.

They have heard of Preservation SOS and were really excited when I said who I was.

A slight problem is the 2nd story roof. I could get guys to do it, but they would need to be insured. We need to think of safety first, theirs and the homeowners. I could run them through the local labor pool which would cost us about $15 per hour.

Nicole sent me her personal check for $100. to off-set some of the supplies for 1626 Ionia. So I have some cash for that.

I'm going to meet with them this afternoon. Let's brainstorm and see what we can figure out.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Gloria. Interested to know what the rest of the exterior of the house is like as well. Maybe I can find a roofing company who will do the work for just the cost of the materials. It never hurts to ask around. I can do that.

Please take and post pictures. One of the best things you do is take pictures with the owner in them. I love this. It puts a person behind the need.

+1 to them for hearing about Preservation SOS.
Nicole Lopez

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:57 pm

<gloria here>

Meet Ron and Caroline, 342 E. 5th Street -- click it to see it

click it to see it