Prospective Make it Happen Homes

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Prospective Make it Happen Homes

Post by iloveionia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Please use this thread to list addresses of homes you suggest or homes that have been suggested to you for a Make it Happen Preservation Project.

Include all information you have:
    Address
    Photo
    Why this home should be a project
    Other relevant info
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Prospective Make it Happen Homes

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:26 pm

How would you guys feel about having the community suggest homes for the next work day? Have people nominate a home and write a short description/paragraph detailing why the person needs help, what exactly the expectations are, maybe some cool facts about the house? We could select three or so and have the community vote on the one they want to do using MySpringfield.

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:31 pm

sounds fine with me...would we want to post this on the myspringfield forum?
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 am

We need to spend some time thinking about Make It Happen! Have some sort of guidelines, a criteria or choosing (as much as we hate that). We also need to have some idea of what we want to get involved in.

Neighbor to Neighbor -- Nicole, how do you see this working?

MIH! -- Major productions?

We need a good discussion on this b/4 we put it out there.

I think getting the community involved, by way of the forums, is a good idea.

Spent some time (too much time) in Contractor's Continuing Ed yesterday and a contractor brought up the question of volunteering on a church project, liability and worker's comp (of course, he was pulling the permit for work -- which I will avoid at all costs -- the homeowner will need to pull a permit if at all possible and if the work needs to be permitted).

The instructor suggested having all volunteers sign waivers and simple hold harmless.

Additionally, we will need to be better at lead safe practices including not allowing the family to be home during the time we are working on the house (we tried that at Miss Maggies). But it could be part of the requirement.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:52 am

It goes back to the needed to be organized bit.

Once established we can go out there are get involvement, suggestions, etc.

I can work on Make it Happen "organization" and details about how to "Make it Happen"

As for Neighbor to Neighbor.
I think it boils down to requests from the neighborhood and determining what we can do to help if we even can at all. Sometimes we may not be able to physically help, but get the word of mouth resource out for someone else to help.

Gloria, you have and continue to do "volunteerism" with your guys. I love that. You can connect it to SOS or your group. I would never want to prevent a good deed to another.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Realize I don't want to be a miser
Confide w/sly you'll be the wiser
Young blood is the lovin' upriser
How come everybody wanna keep it like the kaiser

Give it away give it away give it away give it away
now [x 3]

[chorus]
I can't tell if I'm a kingpin or a pauper

Greedy little people in a sea of distress
Keep your more to receive your less
Unimpressed by material excess
Love is free love me say hell yes

I'm a low brow but I rock a little know how
No time for the piggies or the hoosegow
Get smart get down with the pow wow
Never been a better time than right now

Bob Marley poet and a prophet
Bob Marley taught me how to off it
Bob Marley walkin' like he talk it
Goodness me can't you see I'm gonna cough it

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:40 pm

I vote for Jeff Waltz owner of the property on Walnut Court.

Let's think if there is any way we can make this into a project for Make It Happen!

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 pm

After my long conversation with him this morning, my vote is yes.
We are out to preserve houses, right?
What better opportunity do we have than this?
Plus there is a vacant lot next door. Think of what fun that will be Julie? You can Jon can do landscape magic there!

And since I know he wants to keep the house, he has to be willing to take some steps in this process, as he is the only one who can, I can say with confidence he will. After the meeting tonight, it is apparent that more than just us are behind him. I think since you all made Preservation SOS known tonight, and Jeff came and gave a real story behind it, those folks behind those mics are a bit obligated, don't ya think?

I am going to request the case file from the city, I need to see what they say is wrong with the property. They'll give it to me, but I'm delighted that it will probably flip a few lids over there.

Here is what I understand about the administrative amnesty program from the city:
    must be current on property taxes (he is not, owing 2 years.)
    applications accepted by Oct. 29
    All violations must be fixed for fines to go away
    any fines assessed where work was performed i.e. nuisance will not be eliminated

I will be honest and say I have zero trust in the city or this program, but I see no other choice unless it is sold to another person, but even at that, there is still some settling with the city that needs to happen.

I'm going to call Jeff tomorrow. See how he is feeling after the meeting tonight.
Nicole Lopez

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:08 am

CW Denise Lee spoke to him at length (in the green room) about the amnesty program and offered help. She wants him to go through Kimberly Scott. Sherry Hall (mayor's office) was there and offered her help as well. Then Jack Webb (councilman from Mandarin, where Jeff currently lives) also offered his support. Gaffney, additionally, offered his support.

I emailed Kimberly Scott, briefly, about him so if you could email her as well and send Jeff her contact info, that would be great. She is not going to be very happy with us, but we need to include her and work with her to our best ability.

Several posters on Metrojacksonville, PM'd me and offered their support. One of whom is a carpenter. Neither, I believe, live in the neighborhood.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:15 am

Last night before bed I emailed for the case recap on Walnut Court. Typically it's 3 days to get an email response. Uh, 7:30 EST it's in my mailbox. Fastest ever response.
I think we have lit the fire underneath their feet!!!!!