Guidelines for Make it Happen Recipients

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Guidelines for Make it Happen Recipients

Post by jbm32206 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:55 pm

This is exactly what we need to define....do we want this to be an exterior only project the needs: painting, minor repairs, some curb appeal/landscaping? Can we take on more than a bungalow? Do we need to be concerned with code enforcement requiring permits? Stuff like this, we need to discuss...
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:50 pm

1. Pull a permit
To protect ourselves from Code Enforcement, a permit needs to be pulled. I understand that with an open permit, they can't bother the home/homeowner. Truth is, there very well could be other problems with a house we "stumble" upon. I'll leave it at that.

2. Resident owns Home
The home needs to be owned and lived in by the owner as their permanent residence. I don't think the number of years is important, however, doing a Make It Happen Project for someone who just purchased their home isn't right. If I had to put a number on it, I would say 10 or more years as the owner seems like they are serious about staying in Springfield. It would suck if we were lured into a project and the owner sold their home using us to fix the outside.

3. Do-able Project
Clearly a full on paint job to the exterior of a bungalow is doable. A two-story offers more of a challenge, clearly. NOW, I wouldn't be opposed to doing just trim work on the exterior of a 2 story, but not a full on paint job. Gloria and Joe did a lot of repairs before the Saturday work day. We avoided painting windows because of their poor condition. But Miss Maggie was in such desperate need. Landscaping could just mean cleaning up too, and fewer plants etc. Every house will be different. Bottom line is I don't want to bite off more than we can chew. It would be nice to make other connections with groups who can come in and do other jobs we are not capable of doing, i.e. put a new roof on through their non-profit.

4. Assurance that the owner is in need
This will just have to be by our guts. In observing Miss Maggie and her home, and in talking with neighbors who know Miss Maggie, my gut said, oh yes, she needs and is worthy of the help. But I think the obvious is: low income could be a consideration, age could be a consideration, physical handicap, having fallen on hard times, etc. could be considerations. Might need to consider too if indeed this is the only home they own, if they own other property, are they really in need?

5. The selection of homes
I don't want to advertise in the sense of "Hey, we do this, are you interested in us fixing your home?" I think we would be completely overwhelmed with folks wanting help, I mean who wouldn't want free material and labor? On our website, we can highlight the Make it Happen project and offer "for more information, please contact. . ." On the door to door flyer I want to do down the road, we can say something of the same. I think requests and suggestions will come in, and then they need to be researched and evaluated.

6. Project modifications
I would like to extend the project to 2-8 hour days. As Gloria/Joe did, a group(s) will need to go out and further survey specific needs and may need to do repairs the week before (as Gloria/Joe did,) so the project can start with a run on the first day.

7. Expanding the project
I think that if we continue to find success with Make it Happen, the project could be expanded, or another one introduced to complement the exisiting Make it Happen concept. One piece I would like to incorporate is on the weekend of the project, to include neighboring houses in the beautification. You know, share the wealth. Nothing big, just some minor landscape, clean, etc.

This is my two cents for now until I continue to process more.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Along with all of that, which is good....we need to make sure that when we do have a project, that it doesn't conflict with other projects like the block captain clean ups or events happening. This way we can get more people to participate.
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:01 pm

8. Date Selection
As best as possible, try to pick a weekend that provides the fewest conflicts with other activities in the community. As a try this 2nd time around, butting up a Make it Happen event to a holiday will allow the holiday to be incorporated. (i.e. Thanksgiving)

9. A home in the system or one that is likely to land in the system
Clearly for preservation to be a the forefront of the Make it Happen project, an at risk home, or a home that has/is receiving code violations (minor) should be at the forefront of consideration for selection. Miss Maggie's was a home that was frequented by code enforcement, and in her stories to me she tells me how the city person (assuming code enforcement) told her they were going to tear her house down.

10. Follow up
Every project will need follow up. There will always be a person behind those walls that may need further assistance. We will have to continue to be conscious of that.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 pm

A house that has been "coded" is a house we need to pay attention to, this is really a top priority as you state.

I'm glad people are asking for help with their homes. I'm sure it is a hard thing to ask for. I think if there are smaller projects people in need, need, we could tackle them under something other than "Make it Happen." Maybe it can be called "Neighbor to Neighbor." Just brainstorming here.
Nicole Lopez

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:01 am

very cool, do you need help with moving them to store them in the back yard or something...I'm willing to help if ya want it
Immanuel Kant

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:10 am

;)
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:30 am

Awesome on the bricks!

I'm in the (slow) process of convincing my husband to give the cash to fix my Ionia garage. It's a double block construction garage, and I will only need about 1/4 of it to store garage type stuff. The rest can be used to store donations should we determine we need a central storage place.
Nicole Lopez

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Recipients must be willing to move out of their house for the weekend. We don't need little children around lead chips. I had no idea Miss Maggie and her kids were in their house while we were working on it until much later.

Perhaps someone has a guest room they could put the family in for a night. That would be really nice. And then we could send them to the zoo for the day or take the kids skating or something fun while we are working on their house.

Additionally, we need hold harmless waivers and statements that the people who are working on the house are volunteers.

We also will be using Lead Safe work practices (especially now that several of us are certified). It makes sense to be careful anyway.

And something I was thinking about, any able-bodied people could be strongly encouraged to volunteer for the next project. Pay it forward sort of thing.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Good stuff Gloria.
I agree.

I can add it as a "mechanics" of how to do "Make it Happen" this different from the "guidelines for recipients."

I'll type everything up here in document format and then post for input. I always consider everything I do in draft format.
Nicole Lopez