Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Summer 2013 Make it Happen

Post by iloveionia » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 pm

The plan:
Paint the window boards black and add sashes (about 70 total windows)
Repair wood as needed
With donations, enclose the crawlspaces with framed lattice
Spruce up the grounds with general trash clean-up and shrub cut-back (we maintain monthly mowing for the whole court)
Enjoy a delicious barbeque from Tony and Karla along with neighborly company from friends in the hood
Come back in the evening during the car cruise and enjoy a reception/open house and explore the interior of 15 of the 24 bungalows (some remodeled, some original) [bonus: we'll serve wine!]

9 a.m. at Dancy Terrace (9th Street side) See you then!
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:49 pm

We can't "repair the wood as needed" without building permit.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

karla
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by karla » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am

When are people with knowledge of such things available to take the preliminary look at how much lattice and other items are needed so that we can ask for those specific donations? I may not have much knowledge but I can hold a tape measure. :)

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 am

If we can have a list of the properties we will be working on, I can go with Karla and measure for lattice! That's easy!!
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Received email about our Make it Happen event for the Florida Times Union.
Was emailed questions and responded as such:

I know that some of the homes are both privately owned and owned by SOS. Are the remaining still foreclosures?

To my knowledge, none of the homes are in foreclosure. They have been vacant for 15+ years unfortunately. Of the eight we own, seven were donated, and we bought one for a nominal amount of money. The five that were recently purchased by the board member were procured through the tax deed auctions. Collectively, the 24 bungalows have ten different owners. We own eight, a board member five, a previous investor for the court still owns four, and the rest are owned singly by different individuals. At one point in time the bungalow court was all one lot, owned by one entity. It is my understanding that the failed investor in 2001 found a way to split them up into individual lots whereby selling them or losing them one by one. Each of the twenty four homes has a different property appraiser number.

Are you personally a resident?

My primary residence is in Southern California. I travel to Springfield about 2-4 times yearly and spend about 3 months collectively there. I own several houses, including a currently condemned Carriage House that is mothballed that I am working on. I would like to add here a bit about PSOS. We began our non-profit group [yes 501 (c) (3)] in 2010 and have focused our mission on primarily "saving the houses" while we are strictly preservation minded and houses are our main focus, we care about everything that makes our neighborhood old. We are regular people. We have paying jobs and do all we can in our "free" time to save houses. We have no special financial funding or means to do what we do. We rely on our own bank accounts and the generosity of folks who are preservationists at heart too. We are the true meaning of grass roots and are a visible, "go out there and get the job done" group. We are indeed a group of action. We maintain a website: http://www.preservationsos.org/ From this site you can access our forum board which is filled with an incredible amount of house information, you can access our mobile application, learn about mothballing, learn about preservation, learn about us, and contact us. In the last couple of years we have been donated 12 houses. Yes 12. We mothballed 3 of them, stabilized a fourth after severe fire damage, and build a working plan (Dancy) for the remaining eight. We have always considered ourselves as guardians, guardians of the homes. In this last year we have found new homes for three of our homes. We do not profit a penny on these homes, we simply foster them on to a new forever family. Yes, that means we give them away FREE to qualified new owners. This rubric for qualification can also be found on our website. We welcome (and need) monetary donations to continue to board and secure vacant and forgotten homes and continue our "work in progress" plan for our eight homes at Dancy Terrace. Again, we have no special funding or means to build our bank account other than donations from fellow preservationists. We have a PayPal account which is accessible on our website.

About how many houses are up for sale? Is the $25,000 price tag from a few years ago still accurate?

None of the homes are currently up for sale. In 2010 several of the homes were sold for around the $3,000 - $4,000 range, hence the multiple owners. Last summer, one of the bungalows (a previously renovated one from 2001) was listed at $19,000, however, that listing expired. As all of the homes are condemned and require various amounts of work to earn the certificate of occupancy, they certainly do not warrant a high price tag.

Is this both an open house and cleanup event?

Normally our Make it Happen projects are for a homeowner in the neighborhood who has a house in need, sometimes a house in dire straits. We opted this year to help ourselves (as we are the owners being helped!) to add more appeal to our homes at Dancy Terrace. No matter the owner, improvement to the exterior of a property helps the neighborhood for everyone. In the morning we will host our traditional Make it Happen Preservation Project which brings anywhere from 50- 100 people from in and around the neighborhood. The event begins at 9 a.m. and will conclude at approximately 4 p.m. We host a barbeque lunch and have drinks through-out the day for our volunteers. In the evening, we will open the bungalows (14 of them) and host a wine and cheese style open house. Of the bungalows we will open, one is mothballed, two are renovated (still) from 2001, and the rest are in their (virtual) original condition. The day of our event is also the monthly Main Street Car Cruise so we anticipate some folks to circle around the court and get out and take a look if they please.

Is the cleanup strictly about the exterior of the homes?

Make it Happen projects are traditionally only efforts to make the exterior of the home more appealing and reduce blight. We focus on curb appeal and cosmetic changes. While the PSOS board vice president is a licensed contractor, we complete work that typically does not require permits and can be completed by novice volunteers. Paint and landscaping remain the focus. I will however state that two of our past projects did remediate code violations the properties had and we were able to close active case files on these properties and get them off the track for condemnation. The focus of the project has been from the beginning to "save the houses."

What makes Dancy Terrace worth this effort?

Dancy Terrace is a unique bungalow court, particularly on the east coast, considering many of the enclaves exist exclusively on the west coast. The court is circa 1911 and is considered one the earliest and largest courts in the United States. The bungalows as they sit side by side have alternating front porches and roof styles, and the houses that sit opposite of each other have reverse floor plans. That in and of itself is kind of cool. More importantly, Dancy Terrace lies within the boundaries of Historic Springfield, Jacksonville's oldest neighborhood; we are, as most know, a Nationally Recognized Historic neighborhood. History matters and we believe that this place matters too, it is why Dancy is worth the effort. There is a decent site (not facilitated or created by us) that has information about Dancy Terrace from a daughter of a former resident who grew up there. http://www.learnyeats.com/

Do you think that Dancy can reemerge?

Dancy Terrace has been saved time and time again by various neighborhood passionate and selfless people. They sit in the hands of ten different owners which makes it challenging to forsee the future. We own eight of the bungalows, a board member of PSOS owns five, and a friend of PSOS owns one. The board member who owns the five, just cleared the titles and submitted an application to the NPS (National Park Service) to earn tax credits for one the bungalow's rehab. That work to bring the home to it's certificate of occupancy should commence in the fall. I like to call it "one porch light at a time." It takes time to work on old homes. It takes time to bring individuals and families to a neighborhood that fights a daily public image of being an unsafe neighborhood. Folks who don't know Springfield are the first to criticize the neighborhood, but those that live in the one square mile area, know better. A virtually barren and desolate Main Street, doesn't help the community either. Unfortunately in Springfield not everyone sees the value or importance of history and preservation in our Nationally Recognized neighborhood. While completely baffling to me, it is indeed an uphill battle to save the houses. Can Dancy Reemerge? It already is. Not as quickly as some would like, but it is. The grounds are maintained monthly (PSOS does this) and rehab begins slowly. Some folks are just frustrated that Springfield's forgotten homes remain forgotten (in their eyes) but I have to stress that an excavator from code enforcement is not the answer. We have to save our history and our houses and utilize the municipal codes in existence to value preservation. There isn't a magic wand to turn a toad into a prince in an instant, but it IS happening, slowly but surely.

What do you like most about the bungalows?

It is my understanding that Dancy Terrace is the largest and oldest bungalow court in the United States. Living in Southern California I am surrounded by them, the largest I could personally find via internet research was 17 bungalows. Dancy Terrace has 24. Springfield is often referred to as a "porch community" a place where it is difficult to get from point A to point B without stopping and visiting with your neighbors. I always plan triple the time needed to walk or bike somewhere in Springfield simply because I run into neighborhood peeps to talk and visit with. Dancy Terrace epitomizes this porch community concept and provides an opportunity for folks to live in a humble and manageable home with a small yard as opposed to a large single family home or apartment. Never would there be a better opportunity to borrow a cup of sugar from your neighbor next door. A close knit protective community that can look out for each other. Although, not original (the houses were moved there) Hoyt Terrace in Springfield (off of 5th and Main Street) is a style of "bungalow court." While the homes are not bungalows, there is a collection of half a dozen homes behind a gate all facing one another. With shared grounds, walkways and easements, it is quite lovely. So, what do I like most about the bungalows? They are a survivor and they bring a uniqueness to Springfield with its 24 bungalows.

I was also wondering if you knew the last names of Tony and Karla, who are providing lunch so I could perhaps mention them. I’ll also need the spelling of your last name. This article is set to go in on July 20, a week before the event.

Tony Sullivan and Karla Stremitzer

(I also provided 5 pictures of Dancy, 2-3 will be used.)
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Great answers

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 pm

awesome. good good good. excited about the 27th!

Janetd

Post by Janetd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Do you have your t-shirts and motto yet?

I seem to recall that one year was "kissing the frog." I think this year should be "We'll be staring at the same buildings for 15 years before they fall down." OMG, promise????

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Giggle. That can easily be made to happen. I read mj and busted out laughing!!!

Janetd

Post by Janetd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm

iloveionia wrote:Giggle. That can easily be made to happen. I read mj and busted out laughing!!!
Sweetie, I live to make you laugh! The more you laugh, the more energy you have, the more ideas you come up with (sorry, rest of PSOS team) and the more houses that are saved!