Summer 2013 Make it Happen

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Summer 2013 Make it Happen

Post by iloveionia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:55 pm

This summer we are going to help ourselves. We still own several houses: 12 to be exact. This summer's Make it Happen will be at Dancy Terrace. We will open up our 8 homes for a "Springfield Bungalow Tour" and have a painting and repair party. Volunteers will move around in teams and "adopt" a bungalow. As this is a 100% volunteer effort (materials and labor) we welcome donations of materials and money. (http://www.preservationsos.org for a paypal donation)

Looking to do the following:
  • Paint the window boards black and add sashes
    Cover the crawl spaces with framed lattice
    Make wood repairs
    Paint trim and exterior siding where possible
    Add minor landscaping
As we already maintain the entire court's landscape (cut grass) not too much will be needed there.

We will likely had additional access to other bungalows as well to include in the "Springfield Bungalow Tour"

Date: Saturday, July 27th
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

movedsouth
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Summer 2013 Make it Happen

Post by movedsouth » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:09 pm

I know I asked for this date, but it may not work. It is Main Street Cruise Saturday.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:22 am

John would advertise for us. I think it's perfect. Lots of cruisers. Lots of exposure.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 am

perfect perfect perfect
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 am

we need food

we need to invite councilmen including our own and CM Lumb and Boyer

& get The Well involved

This is going to be fun.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm new here to Preservation SOS and to Jacksonville. Count me in on this project.

Has your group thought about applying for grants for the Make It Happen and/or other projects? I'm thinking in particular about Home Depot Foundation, where you can receive up to $5K in materials, tools and the like from HD. Don't know that it would be feasible for this summer's Make it Happen project, but might be worth looking for future projects. They are generally looking for repairs for low income and/or veteran recipients...

More info:
http://homedepotfoundation.org/page/app ... or-a-grant

Just food for thought. Applications accepted through August 13, 2013.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks reeves! I did a quick perusal of the home depot grant site. I begin vacation in 2 weeks and will have more time to look over the application and see if our project has a chance.
Thanks and welcome! Mark that calendar!
Nicole Lopez

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Great. Let me know if I can assist.

I also let Gloria know that I have some "aged" plywood left over from a covered shed demo at my house in Riverside, so if that is needed for anything, I'd be glad to contribute it. It's just sitting outside right now, but I think several sheets of it could be salvaged and reused.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks for the plywood. I'm sure we can use if it is flat enough to board windows.

Are there any thoughts or comments before I make the formal invite on facebook and the blogs for our summer Make it Happen? I will also send out either a mailed or emailed invite to city peeps.
Nicole Lopez

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Now with July 4th done, I will begin to hit the forums and facebook and publicize.
This is more so an awareness and get a little dirty project. Nothing like our past projects.
Nicole Lopez