8th and Hubbard store - October 23rd

Discuss "Make it Happen" projects here.

Moderator: Board Members

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

8th and Hubbard store - October 23rd

Post by Debbie Thompson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Bill Thomas received permission from the owner of the corner store at 8th and Hubbard to do a Make it Happen / Random Act of Beauty project there. (Well, why wouldn't he?) In return, he will take down some of the many posters, and generally try to keep the place better. Maybe carry some additional items the neighborhood would want. Bill said he'd like to work with us.

The proposal is to paint the store sage with brown trim, instead of the dark red and white. On the plain wall that faces east along 8th, paint a mural of maybe a field of sunflowers? (That's for you, Gloria. :-) ) Bill would like to schedule this for Saturday, October 23rd.

Nicole, I'll need some of your excellent organizational help with this. I don't know how you went about organizing the Miss Maggie project. I know we'd need:

Materials:
Brushes - I have a whole bunch of them Joe and Gloria brought, left from Miss Maggie's
Rollers or sprayer
Ladders - bring your own?
Paint
ARTISTS :-) Volunteers? Maybe Douglas Anderson or LaVilla students? Neighborhood artists? Overhead projector to throw the flower outline on the building?

Refreshments - maybe the owner will donate, but if he doesn't, this is for the betterment and beautification of Springfield....
Water
Coffee
Snacks
Lunch
A canopy/tent

We may have to mow the vacant lot to the east if it's high before we start on the mural. That could be done the day before.

What else?

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 8th and Hubbard store - October 23rd

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Great job Bill.
Great job owner.
Great job everyone involved.
Yeah for Springfield!

Debbie, I will call you to help you organize.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

karla
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by karla » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm planning to get some stencils done of a sunflower, daisy and daffodil. I'm thinking about two feet high. If that would help at this project, I'll try to get to it quickly. For a future project, if we get permission from Shell on Boulevard, I want to re-paint their island planter on the Boulevard side and add painted flowers.

I know, pretty much everyone hates that Shell and would be happy to see it burn to the ground. I'm not interested in helping them, I'm being purely selfish and doing it to beautify MY neighborhood. 8-)

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Karla. I will help you with the Shell in November. I wanted to do this before.

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:08 pm

There's a SACARC adoption event that day at Petco in Mandarin. Doesn't mean I have to go to it and doesn't mean I'd stay all day if I did go. I'm just saying.

That being said, I'd rather do the beautification thing if I can. If someone can use a projector to put the flowers on the building I can certainly help to paint them.

;)

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 pm

<gloria here>

I ADORE that idea and will help in any way I can, including helping with some guys.

Wow, what a statement.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 pm

Joe, don't we have an overhead projector?

Greg and Jason of Content Design might help us with some ideas. (Greg is a member of this forum).

I can't believe it -- this is fantastic!
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Nicole and I chatted tonight. She is putting together some organization ideas and will follow up with us in a couple of days. We're on the way. Can't wait.

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 am

Yes, we have an old overhead that works.

Also, we have supplies like roller pans, paint brushes and the like from Miss Maggie's and most are stored at our shop.

Also, this place has tried to work with the community before but got the SPAR Council deluxe treatment. Treat him right and I bet this place will do the right thing.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:47 am

I can't help but think this could be the beginning of a grass-roots commercial development plan.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake