Neighborhood Stabilization Grants

anything related to city politics, code enforcement and city rules

Moderator: Board Members

m74reeves

Re: Neighborhood Stabilization Grants

Post by m74reeves » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Regarding the NSP3 grant, If you look at the link below (January draft) and compare it to the final one (February) on the City website, the City did note that they received public comments from Preservation SOS (p. 12 of the final Feb document), and they did specifically incorporate the concerns raised from Questions #2 and #5. Excerpt below from page 12:

As noted above, the City of Jacksonville received comments from local citizens and several organizations. Issues were presented as follows:
Several comments expressed concern that properties identified in the Historic District not be excluded simply due to high rehabilitation costs Several comments expressed pleasure with vicinity hiring plans Several responses expressed concern with the potential for demolition within the Historic District. Their common desire was that the City work under the auspices or supervision of the Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission

As to why no one ever took the time to respond, don't know what to say. This may have been about the time that a lot of the staff fruit basket turnover was occuring.

Some of your questions they probably could not have answered specifically. For instance, #3, I am doubtful that they had 80 addresses for demoliton/clearance when they submitted this application. the number 80 is simply the goal that they have for that activity.

#6 refers to "qualified sales" in general, not sales that qualified for the NSP program. I think that they meant there were only 60 "regular" sales that year in the area, the rest being foreclosures sales or non-arms length xfers. It was not worded very well.

Hopefully some of the recent public records requests will get this info flowing. The NSP1 and NSP3 quarterly reports on the City web have not been updated for about a year...which is a violation of the HUD mandate for these funds. Sadly what is there does not give the details like it should (i.e., specific addresses should be shown).

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Here is HUD's NSP1 grantee reporting page for Jacksonville. As of today, it has the quarterly reports through Dec 2012, which is better than the City website.

https://hudnsphelp.info/index.cfm?do=vi ... =&keyword=

For the Demolition/Clearance Activity it states that $926,694.90 of the $1M budget has been drawn, but the performance measures gives ZERO properties, no locations, and the narrative says to "Get with Dayatra."

Weak.

Will try to find the NSP3 page.

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:27 pm

NSP3 reports on HUD site:

https://hudnsphelp.info/index.cfm?do=vi ... ille-Duval, FL&keyword=&gtforEmail=NSP3#reportloc

Don't bother. NO DETAILS. As of December 2012, $0 of the $400K drawn/obligated in the Demolition/Clearance activity. They better get busy spending or they need to move that $$ into some other activity.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 am

If the city is not filing the required paperwork, what are the consequences?
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 am

iloveionia wrote:In regards to what? An email I sent that received no response?
Or what.
No goose -- the info you requested.

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:46 am

Gloria wrote:If the city is not filing the required paperwork, what are the consequences?
Not sure...probably just a slap on the hand.

Grantees are required by HUD to include the following in their reports: "Each report will include information about the uses of funds, including, but not limited to, the project name, activity, location, national objective, funds budgeted and expended, the funding source and total amount of any non-NSP funds, numbers of properties and housing units,
beginning and ending dates of activities, and numbers of low- and moderate income persons or households benefiting. Reports must be submitted using HUD’s web-based DRGR system and, at the time of submission, be posted prominently on the grantee’s official Web site."

[excerpted from HUD Federal Register Notice Vol. 73, No 194, October 6, 2008 p. 58341]

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:05 pm

OK, just an update on NSP. I'm having trouble accessing the City's site today, so I can't confirm whether they are now posting their NSP1 and NSP3 quarterly reports or not. However, you can see the quarterly reports on the HUD website. Take a look at the NSP3 April-June 2013 quarterly report at the link below.

https://onecpd.info/reports/NSP_QPR_Gra ... 130630.pdf

See p. 10 for the reporting on the Demolition/Clearance activity. In particular, I love this quote under the "Activity Progress Narrative:"

"Due to the historic aspects of the program area, he [sic] City's Demolition and Clearance activity is reviewing opportunities to stabilize properties within the target area versus demolition." [my emphasis added here]

You also have them finally listing property addresses where funds have been spent, and 253 and 129 E. 2nd Street are shown here (see top of p.11), which confirms what everyone suspected all along. These are the first 4 properties listed of the goal of 80 properties for this particular NSP3 activity.

Interestingly (or not so much), there is no similar information reported for the NSP1 demo/clearance activity for the most current quarter. Again, the City is showing that they've spent nearly $1M, but have not input any addresses or the number of properties that this funding has targeted. I know that public records requests have been submitted asking for this information. Too bad that it is having to be requested when it is clearly something that the City should be reporting anyway to HUD.

If you want to view the April-June 2013 NSP1 quarterly report, see it here: https://onecpd.info/reports/NSP_QPR_Gra ... 130630.pdf (p. 17 is where the demo/clearance activity starts)

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm

thank you for getting this info!

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes. Thank you.
Next steps?
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 pm

iloveionia wrote:Yes. Thank you.
Next steps?
All I can say is OMG... Oh, and what do we do now?? I'd love to nail some ass to the wall!
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."