anything related to city politics, code enforcement and city rules

Moderator: Board Members

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

CDBG monies

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:29 am

Nature of Program

NSP is a component of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). The CDBG regulatory structure is the platform used to implement NSP and the HOME program provides a safe harbor for NSP affordability requirements.

NSP grantees develop their own programs and funding priorities. However, NSP grantees must use at least 25 percent of the funds appropriated for the purchase and redevelopment of abandoned or foreclosed homes or residential properties that will be used to house individuals or families whose incomes do not exceed 50 percent of the area median income. In addition, all activities funded by NSP must benefit low- and moderate-income persons whose income does not exceed 120 percent of area median income. Activities may not qualify under NSP using the "prevent or eliminate slums and blight" or "address urgent community development needs" objectives.
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src ... borhoodspg
Citizen Participation

A grantee must develop and follow a detailed plan which provides for, and encourages, citizen participation and which emphasizes participation by persons of low- or moderate-income, particularly residents of predominantly low- and moderate-income neighborhoods, slum or blighted areas, and areas in which the grantee proposes to use CDBG funds. The plan must:

provide citizens with reasonable and timely access to local meetings, information, and records related to the grantee's proposed and actual use of funds;
provide for public hearings to obtain citizen views and to respond to proposals and questions at all stages of the community development program, including at least the development of needs, the review of proposed activities, and review of program performance;
provide for timely written answers to written complaints and grievances;

and identify how the needs of non-English speaking residents will be met in the case of public hearings where a significant number of non-English speaking residents can be reasonably expected to participate.

For More Information

If you are an interested citizen, contact your local municipal or county officials for more information. HUD does not provide CDBG assistance directly to citizens or organizations. If your local government officials cannot answer your questions, or if you are a local official, contact the HUD field office* that serves your area. Note that the local government administers the program and determines which local projects receive funding.
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src ... ntitlement
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

JaxUnicorn

Re: CDBG monies

Post by JaxUnicorn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 am

What I want to know is who the HELL is making sure the rules are followed????!!!!!!!????? This is another example of it be extremely clear and our city is ignoring it.
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:44 am

Lets use so e of this wording in our public records request

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:47 am

See Michelle Tappouni (sp?) if you want to get involved in the EPIC communities initiative. It is, or course, being run through SPAR and the money is being steered to Kevin Gay, but you can get involved on the committee and make your wishes known.

At the recent neighborhood meeting at Paul Davis, I made the point that a new apartment complex was OK, but that the $2 million grant money for that could have rehabbed 10-15 houses. Jax Unicorn spoke up too. Did any of us attend the March meeting where the neighborhood concerns were identified? Because rehabbing old houses with the funds was not on the list Jolee Gardner had at the meeting. That was the week I went back to work, and wasn't able to make it, but I sure wish I had now.

It's on the list now, however.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Go Paul Davis!
Advocating for houses.
Concept.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Is EPIC CDBG?

I think we are having separate conversations here.

CDBG monies are used to do things like demolish structures. These activities, if conducted in a historic district, need Section 106 reviews.

If EPIC is using federal funds, then it too, would have to abide by these rules if it is affecting historic structures.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Operation New Hope's project is following the review process it seems to me.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:59 pm

from this site:

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src ... reports/fl

CDBG monies were spent for clearance and demolition in these amounts:

08 -- 512,469.20

07 -- 420,435.36

06 -- 431,403.50

05 --- 483,630.89

04 -- 375,012.79

03 -- 295k

Section 106 reviews on these?

Were any of these 50 years or older"

Were any of these for Springfield properties? LaVilla?

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 pm

I can't open the accomplishment reports. Can someone see if number of demolitions is on there:

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src ... shments/fl

karla
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by karla » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm

On the most recent document (2010), I searched for words 'abate', 'demolition' and 'demo'. None of them were found.