Meeting with Council President Bill Gulliford

anything related to city politics, code enforcement and city rules

Moderator: Board Members

JaxUnicorn

Meeting with Council President Bill Gulliford

Post by JaxUnicorn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:15 am

Michelle Tappouni and I met with City Council President Bill Gulliford this morning. I'll post more later, but he said he would co-sponsor a bill that modified the legislation that dealt with demolition of historic structures. Suggested we approach Dr. Gaffney or Robin Lumb to introduce it. Michelle and I are going to set up another meeting with members of PSOS and SPAR (anyone else? Members of the community?) to brainstorm the types of changes that need to be made. Perhaps after this meeting we should consider a "Town Hall" type of meeting that affords the community the opportunity to see what is being proposed and to have input. We want to be completely TRANSPARENT!
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Meeting with Council President Bill Gulliford

Post by Gloria » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:37 pm

We have thought this out a great deal. Our position is quite clear.

1.) mothball by the city, first and foremost, and by MCCD who has the funding source to do it.

2.) open an investigation as to code's conduct with demolitions

3.) Support CM Lumb in his legislation to eliminate rolling fines

4.) Place a preservationist from Springfield on HPC
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Dr. Gaffney will be as reluctant to take a position on this as the mayor was, IMHO.

Councilman Lumb would be more open to doing this.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Kim,

SIA will need to be included in the meetings. Their voice will need to be taken into consideration.

Let us know when the meetings are.

thanks!

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:36 am

I just sent the following email:
Date: Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Subject: Springfield Preservation
To: Gaffney@coj.net
Cc: mishtap@earthlink.net, Gloria <gloria.devall2010@comcast.net>, Nicole Lopez <nicolelopez89@yahoo.com>

Dr. Gaffney,

I was very sorry to hear of your recent medical issue and hope that you are feeling better and recovering quickly!

My name is Kim Pryor and I have spoken at the last two City Council meetings regarding MCCD's demolition of historic structures. As you have probably already realized, I am extremely passionate about preserving Jacksonville's historic structures, especially in Springfield. In the Green Room after my public comments at the June 25th City Council meeting, you were visibly concerned about the destruction of the historic structures within your district, agreed that something had to be done, and committed to meet with me to discuss possible solutions. At a bare minimum, ordinance changes are needed.

Yesterday, SPAR Board Member Michelle Tappouni invited me to join her at a meeting she scheduled with Council President Bill Gulliford to discuss this same issue. At that meeting, President Gulliford agreed changes are necessary, voiced his support of legislation to better protect and preserve our historic structures and stated he would co-sponsor a bill that was drafted/submitted to address this need.

As a member of Preservation Save Our Springfield (PSOS) and a Springfield resident, I am requesting 30 minutes of your time to discuss the next steps to preserving our historic structures. Michelle Tappouni and possibly one or two other PSOS members would also be in attendance. Can you please let me know what day and time works with your schedule?

Thank you in advance for your time and your concern for our Springfield Historic District.

Kim Pryor
904-465-1555
Springfield Resident
PSOS Member
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:39 am

Gloria wrote:We have thought this out a great deal. Our position is quite clear.

1.) mothball by the city, first and foremost, and by MCCD who has the funding source to do it.

Gloria, I agree completely!! We have thought this out a great deal. And I believe we have nailed what needs to be done. The reason I suggested a Town Hall type meeting is to allow the residents of Springfield an opportunity to hear what we have come up with and plan to present. We don't want to be like SPAR and be seen as an organization that is doing things in secret and not being transparent.
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 am

JaxUnicorn wrote:
Gloria wrote:We have thought this out a great deal. Our position is quite clear.

Gloria, I agree completely!! We have thought this out a great deal. And I believe we have nailed what needs to be done. The reason I suggested a Town Hall type meeting is to allow the residents of Springfield an opportunity to hear what we have come up with and plan to present. We don't want to be like SPAR and be seen as an organization that is doing things in secret and not being transparent.
Indeed!

karla
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by karla » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 am

Agreed Kim. And accolades for your tireless efforts.

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Agree. Just be aware we will need to be ready to fight for preservation, because at an open meeting, we'll get the same people who are concerned about their property values living next to an ugly house, perceived (not necessarily actual) danger, economic viability, etc, etc.

BTW...the president of SIAA is Mike Trautmann's spouse, so expect Mike and his comments to be at any community meeting. :-)

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:54 pm

expect Mike and his comments to be at any community meeting
Bring it. :twisted: