423 Walnut Court

Moderator: Board Members

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 423 Walnut Court

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Has anyone spoken with Jeff to see who this person might be?

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:08 pm

now, that's a good question....but no, I haven't
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:54 pm

OK, good points, Gloria and Joan. We don't want to be discredited, but neither can we jump up and down every time we hear sour grapes. We can't waste the good will and credibility we've gained by bickering with others in the community and getting others down on us.

Action....we need action. We need another project as soon as possible. I want to break my fingernails and get filthy with good doing. Then let the critics talk all they want. We'll be working, so we won't hear them, and what they say will fall on deaf ears because others will judge us by our actions. That's how we will continue to gain credibility.

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:55 pm

open for suggestions for another project
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm emailing the downtown gang and asking if we can do Walnut Court as a project a la Cleveland

http://www.onntv.com/live/content/onnne ... ml?sid=102

We could make this a Make It Happen! project if we wanted to, or I could do it with some of our guys. Either way, it isnt' much to have done.

This is my email
Hello All,

Preservation SOS would like to take on Jeff Waltz's house, 423 Walnut Court, as a project house -- not to restore, but rather to "mothball" as is done in Cleveland,Ohio.

http://www.onntv.com/live/content/onnne ... ml?sid=102

In Cleveland, a group turns vacant houses into masterpieces by securing them and then painting "faux" life to create works of art. We, at Preservation SOS, would like to donate our time, talent and money to take this condemned structure and turn it into a safe and secure work of art using local craftsmen and artists.

We understand that this is not a permanent solution for this house, but rather a temporary, but beautiful, aid to save a historic structure.

All we need from you, is a stop on the demolition process and we can begin.

Thanks for your time,
It will be interesting to see what they say.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm following up with a similar letter and including this picture of what could be.
Walnut Court resize.jpg
Walnut Court resize.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
My letter:

Hello Everyone,

As we finish up this 2010 Labor Day weekend, let us remember the civil and economic significance this holiday brings. As the schools start their new year, and sports teams host their season opening games, let this be a beginning for a new era of preservation in Springfield.

Preservation SOS would like to have the opportunity to mothball 423 Walnut Court owned by Jeff Waltz to provide an example of how a little creativity can turn a vacant structure into a safe and secure model of art.

The attached sample shows what "could be" if the demolition were halted on this sound historic home. We just need you to stop the demolition.

Thank you for your time,
Nicole Lopez
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:15 pm

Pretty, but I'd rather donate time and talent doing what is needed to make the property stable. Can we fix the couple of piers that are off the joists?

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:40 pm

<gloria here>

Debbie, the property is stable enough as it sits.

But certainly if there is an issue, we could address it at least with temporary bracing.

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, the Code Enforcement cited the piers as an issue so, while they may not really be an issue, I'm thinking take care of what they pointed out as a problem...whether or not they really are. :-)

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:50 pm

What we need is a copy of the structural engineer's report. We haven't seen anything in writing yet. I have encouraged Jeff to get a copy, but if anyone else finds herself hanging around Art Museum Drive and could get a copy....

Once we get that, then we could put some temporary bracing, if necessary. I have talked to someone who recently inspected the property, head to toe, and said there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Mothballing takes into account any structural problems and arrests them. Arrests, not corrects, I might add. Adding temporary bracing is an entirely different size project than repairing or replacing structural elements. If piers are the problem, we can brace with a concrete pad and cinderblocks, or anything else -- we can make those judgment calls at the time.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake