iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 1320 Ionia

Post by iloveionia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 pm

do you know where to get it Gloria?
guide me and I'll work to get it.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 pm

I would go to the National Park Service and see what they have.

I would email Kimberly Scott and ask to see the contractor's agreements for board and secure jobs.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:46 am

Here is the email string of my conversations with the Engineer that did the inspection on this property. I'm baffled....and am waiting to hear her response.
Project #310-138: 1320 Ionia Street, Jacksonville, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kim Pryor Wisdom <kim@preservationsos.org> Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM
To: p.cowden@aespj.com
Ms. Cowden,

I have attached a copy of structural investigation report regarding the property at 1320 Ionia Street. According to this report, the home at this address needs to be stabalized. Can you please provide more details regarding what specifically needs to be done in order to "stabalize" this structure?

Thank you very much!

Kim Wisdom
(904) 465-1555 (cell)

Engineer Report.pdf 468K
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pam cowden <p.cowden@aespj.com> Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM
To: Kim Pryor Wisdom <kim@preservationsos.org>
A structural engineer would need to be engaged to review the structure in its entirety and prepare a stabilization plan.

Pam
Kim Pryor Wisdom <kim@preservationsos.org> Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM
To: pam cowden <p.cowden@aespj.com>
Bcc: Kim Pryor Wisdom <kim@preservationsos.org>
Ms. Cowden,

I thank you for your reply and am a bit puzzled by it. According to the report you provided, Elaine Lancaster with the City of Jacksonville's Municipal Code Compliance division requested that you perform a structural investigation of the property at 1320 Ionia Street to "determine if the building is structurally stable".

You along with Scott Doughty inspected and provided the Structural Investigation Report at the request of the City of Jacksonville. In the Conclusion section of that report you stated, "In its current condition, the structure at 1320 Ionia Street, Jacksonville, Florida, is in poor condition. The residence should be stabilized immediately or demolished to protect life and property in the immediate vicinity."

The City of Jacksonville relies on you to provide them with accurate reports regarding the structures they request you to inspect. The Historic Preservation Committee relies on your reports when making the arduous decision of whether to approve the demolition of a historic structure.

Wouldn't part of those reports be more than just telling them it needs to be stabilized? You are the expert here - please help me to understand what is absolutely required to prevent this historic structure from being lost forever to demolition.

Thank you,
Kim Wisdom
(904) 465-1555
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 am

Here is the response.... NOW what??
frompam cowden <p.cowden@aespj.com>
toKim Pryor Wisdom <kim@preservationsos.org>

dateTue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM
subjectRE: Project #310-138: 1320 Ionia Street, Jacksonville, FL

Ms. Wisdom

In order to provide a stabilization plan for this property, we would need to do a more extensive survey in order to determine how best to stabilize the building. We did not have any access to the interior of the structure and did not have access to any structural drawings at the time of our report. Our services to the property safety division include determining stability but not stabilization construction documents, which requires a detailed survey and analysis. Stabilization construction documents and construction are the responsibility of the property owner.

Pam

Pamela L Cowden, PE
Senior Project Engineer
904-743-4633
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:31 am

I'm sorry, but to me these e-mail's basically say that the engineers at Atlantic and this Pam really have no idea what the structure of this house is like. They go out and look at a few things from the outside, take a couple of pictures and say what they believe, or rather know, Code Enforcement, their client, wants to hear. If you see what makes a structure "unstable" then by default you should know what it would take to make it "stable". If they don't then I say they really do not know what they are looking at when they write their reports. If they do not have access to the interior, they can not really do their jobs. If they need structure drawings to tell them what's what they don't know their jobs. We should be able to use these e-mails to help show that the system used by Code Enforcement is very broken and needs fixed, at least for the Historic structures. And even perhaps that the city needs to find a new company to use.

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:58 am

This is what needs to be brought before the HPC, and explain how it makes no sense. You cannot say it's unstable and not be able to explain what is needed to make it stable. I agree with Joe, it's a bunch of junk and has no merit
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Joe and Joan, you both make perfect sense! I agree completely! If they cannot tell me what is required to stabilize it, they certainly cannot tell me it is unstable!

Perhaps I should forward this email string to HPC, Kimberly Scott and the City Council? What do you think?
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 pm

I would...
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Good God. I don't even know what to say without being censored.

Yes Kim. Email it all in a one shot email. Post on metrojax, myspringfield etc. if you are willing.

The only vision is demolition and by whatever process to get there. Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

I posted a comprehensive email list, which includes the HPC members.

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 am

Special Masters February 28

Tarpon IV LLC
1323 Ionia Street ...Order to Correct in 30 days.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake