1320 Ionia

Moderator: Board Members

JaxUnicorn

1320 Ionia

Post by JaxUnicorn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 am

I attended the HPC meeting on 08/25/10. At this meeting, this property was on the agenda for demolition. Fortunately for us, the HPC deferred this property for one month to give us time to see what can be done. A comment was made by a committee member (don't recall his name) that the property needed to be STABALIZED and not necessarily RESTORED. The property is owned by EMC Mortgage Corporation and I believe they have sent letters indicating they have no interest in the property even though they ar listed as the owners. Not sure what our options are at this point.

I have uploaded copies of documents I obtained on this property: Property Safety Report, Order to Abate via Demolition, and the Engineer's Report.

Thoughts??

~Kim
Attachments
Engineer Report.pdf
(467.01 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Order to Abate by Demolition.pdf
(76.54 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
Property Safety Report.pdf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 1320 Ionia

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:07 am

When they say stabilized - would the supporting piers have to be replaced for them to allow the house to stand? That can be done, BTW.

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 pm

That is probably one option Cathy. They also are concerned about the upper back porch - the flooring has rotted and will not support weight - not sure if we would have to remove that section, repair it, or simply block off the stairs that lead up to it. All these things need to be considered.......

~Kim
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:23 pm

I think we need to know from the City exactly what they will accept. If they will allow the piers to stay as is and only require the porch come off then that's better. But I don't want to go into this blind as to their requirements. And I'd really like those requirements in writing...............but then I'm a suspicious witch.......

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I think that aside from taking a look at these reports, we need to look at the property too. I'll try to get by there this weekend...have any of you gone to look at it?
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:13 pm

I did yesterday and thought I posted something but obviously not in this thread. This property is odd in it's setup because there is another parcel directly behind it that js owned by someone else. That house has an address of 1324 Ionia and has no street access - only alley access.

1320 is owned by EMC Mortgage and they say they have no interest in 1320 Ionia although I think they are mistaken.

According to the engineer report, the piers need to be stabalized and that can be done. (perhaps using the city $ slated for the demo?) It should stand for a long time.

The rear upper porch is in poor condition and I'm not sure if it is just the flooring or the structure that supports the porch. We'd need to investigate further. We should also get someone to look underneath to see if sill plates and joists are in tact.

One part of the report says a wall is leaning and I'm not sure why. Since EMC doesn't claim it I'd think we could go snooping around without recourse???

jbm32206
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jbm32206 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:16 pm

so who could look at this and have the expertise to know and comment on it
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanuel Kant

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:02 pm

We have, as contractors, repaired the structures of many (twenty plus) of the houses in Springfield. We probably have more experience than the guy who wrote the report, but we do not have that little PE after our name. We could certainly look at the houses and give an expert opinion from the Historic Restoration Contractor's view point.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:08 pm

JaxUnicorn wrote: A comment was made by a committee member (don't recall his name) that the property needed to be STABALIZED and not necessarily RESTORED.

~Kim
The above comment needs to be used to help 1320 Ionia. What do you say we have 3 different contractors provide a quote to "stabilize" and mothball this house? Present the quotes with a timeline to HPC so that Code Enforcement money can be used for this PRESERVATION plan, rather than their abatement by demolition plan.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:42 pm

First we need to get a copy of the National Park Service guidelines for mothballing...look at that and talk with Joel and Lisa. We also need to see what the city is currently doing re: boarding and securing. In other words, what additional steps need to be taken.

I believe that Joe, Kim and I should look into what needs to be done to stabilize in general and on a house by house basis, and then we can send this copy out to bid.

We need to be very specific -- we need to set our own guidelines and be the experts in mothballing requirements for our city.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake