1630 Ionia scheduled for demolition

Moderator: Board Members

gryphoemia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 1630 Ionia scheduled for demolition

Post by gryphoemia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 pm

JaxUnicorn wrote:They should have allowed us to get in there and salvage the wood that was in such great shape. Beautiful heart pine floors are now gone..........
why all this talk about allowing? march in the door, pull what needs saving, get the hell out. the only way trouble happens if someöne makes it happen. look like you belong there, and noöne will.
i'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. i'm sure i must be up to something, and i will not stop until i find out what.
-randall munroe

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:51 pm

^+1
and LOL
he's right.

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:09 am

This is something we can work on. I told Kenny Logsdon once, when he told me they don't allow people in to salvage due to the danger, that I'd sign a release. That could be done. But I think the real reason is that the demo contractor has salvage rights, although I doubt some of them recognize the value in old floors and doors, as we do.

It's a slippery slope, though, because if we say "at least we salvaged it" then I think that makes it easier to swallow a demo, and we don't want to make it easy to swallow.

That said, if we don't get permission, there is a company in Savannah that will drive in a 200 milie radius (and we're in that radius) to deconstruct old houses. Except they take the stuff back to Savannah.

We need to get someone here permission to do that, and keep the stuff in Springfield. It's not just demo either. I see people take out old floors because much of it has termite damage, but I'll bet a lot of it is fine. Or wonderful old sinks tossed out in kitchen remodels. We could tell them we'd take the stuff.

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 am

I have two old sinks in my 3rd floor that anyone is welcome to. But you have to move them yourself.

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Ohmigosh! You told me that once and I forgot. I'd like to see if one of them matches the one I had to take out of my upstairs bathroom. The drain was cracked, and the plumber told me there was no way to fix it. I asked him if it could not be welded or something, and he said no, so I let him put it in the dumpster. Later, Ally told me it could have been fixed. :-(

If it fits, I'd love to put an antique one back in there.

Cathy_Campbell
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Cathy_Campbell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

They're big kitchen sinks, not bathroom sinks. But you're welcome to look.

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:34 am

gryphoemia wrote:
JaxUnicorn wrote:They should have allowed us to get in there and salvage the wood that was in such great shape. Beautiful heart pine floors are now gone..........
why all this talk about allowing? march in the door, pull what needs saving, get the hell out. the only way trouble happens if someöne makes it happen. look like you belong there, and noöne will.
Been a while since I've been on here... I did do some salvaging at this house - and had the police called on me. Two officers walked into the house while I was cleaning it out and gave me a hard time. After that happened, I didn't go back and am sorry I didn't.... :(
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:10 pm

<gloria>

I saw you there-- you looked mighty cute covered with soot and with a flat bar in your hand.

We'll never get permission to salvage. Too afraid of liability issues.

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Debbie Thompson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm

That's what Kenny said. I told him I'd sign a release, a hold harmless. I'm sure that could be worked out if the City has the will...which we know is the real issue.

m74reeves

Post by m74reeves » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm

demolition funded through NSP1