Preservation SOS Member

Re: 1325 Laura Street

Post by iloveionia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Stops rolling fines.

Janetd

Post by Janetd » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 pm

iloveionia wrote:Stops rolling fines.
OK, that's a biggie for a potential investor. Thanks.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:40 pm

I was on my phone. Here is more:
Code is notified by HPC once the mothball certificate (status) 'cause their isn't any sort of certificate (I'll come back to that in a minute,) is achieved. Then when the inspector in the field (or where ever) pulls up the address, some one in their office has typed in "mothball status" So they pretty much ignore the property. HOWEVER. If the mothballed home has additional code violations (like a care request, broken windows, etc.) code can write it up and do the shit they normally do: harass. It is why when you pull the mothball COA you commit to monitoring the property and working towards the CO. You will avoid Special Master's hearings that demand you work 10x faster (which we all know isn't feasible) and you are given 3 years to work towards habitability. Unbeknown to most, you can renew the COA for another (up to) 3 years. Do what you are supposed to do, and code shouldn't harass you. That is definitely a bonus.

As for the "certificate" I tried to convince Lisa in HPC that there should be a mothball certificate. Something to post that says "mothballed" Something to override that nasty orange condemned sign.

(Danko slapped a condemned sign on my Carriage house mid-way through mothballing, playing dumb. I hauled ass on my bike down Ionia and ripped him a new one. They don't give a shit to be quite frank. "just doing my job screwing people." (my words)
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Janetd wrote:
Gloria wrote:mothballing does nothing to remove condemnation
I can belabor my own point....1325 Laura was legally mothballed before being condemned anyway the next day? So if mothballing can neither remove the condemnation nor prevent it, does it have any teeth at all? :?

Sorry, I know this is exactly the stuff you wrangle with all the time...but I jest ain't gittin' it.
Janet, this property has not yet been mothballed. The COA was approved to allow it to BE mothballed, which means that it can no longer be considered a danger to the community and at risk of being demolished.
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:22 am

Janet, you may be talking about Mary's house. 1326 Laura?
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by jmarkusic » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:55 am

More on the ongoing saga that is dealing with MCCD in Jacksonville. Steve Heykens of the Palace Company is the hired contractor to do the mothballing on this house. We put him in touch with the architect we use and who has done the stabilization/ shoring plans for several of our houses. A stabilization plan was drawn up and Steve goes down to pull a permit. The first thing that happens is that the Building Department doesn't even think a permit is needed for what he is doing. Steve goes to the MCC and gets told that he must have a shoring engineer do the shoring plan. They will accept nothing else.

I did some research and find out that yes, the Final Order for this mothballing COA does state that a shoring engineer must draw up a shoring plan. The issue is this. Shoring engineering is a discipline of engineering and architecture. It is not a separate career or license. The ordinance that governs what can be required to mothball a structure states simply that:

I. Stabilization Specifications
The structural stabilization needs identified by the Municipal Code Compliance Division as a result of it being classified as an unsafe structure as defined under Section 518.111 shall be met by following a scope of work or drawing approved by a licensed structural engineer, the Chief of Building Inspection Division or the Chief of the Municipal Code Compliance Division.

So any of the three entities can approve the shoring plan. The fact that the ordinance lists a licensed structural engineer as being able to APPROVE the plan means that someone else can draw it up, including an architect for instance. There is no requirement that a structural engineer be used. Which is why we use an Architect familiar with the old houses and how they are built. In addition, the or between scope of work or drawing means that the "shoring plan" can be either a drawing or just a plan, or a list of what needs to be done to accomplish that shoring. We can add to this the fact that the inspectors who write up the condemnations do not have the correct qualifications themselves to determine the structural needs of a structure. You really do need to use a qualified person to come up with not only the needs of the structure but the plan itself. Frankly, the Municipal Code Compliance Chief has a Masters of Public Administration and hardly would be qualified to approve a shoring plan anyway.

What this means is that as a shoring engineer really doesn't exist as specified, the best thing to do is to make sure the person who does the work is indeed qualified and then get that plan approved. As the building inspection department deals with this daily, the best way to do that is to pull that permit. I also communicated with Autumn Martigage about this and have this from an e-mail: If MCCD or Building Inspection Chief are willing to accept a shoring plan submitted by an architect than we will accept that as well. In theory, every permit must be approved by the Chief. In practice, that is accomplished by the Chief delegating the responsibility to other, qualified people. That is how the system works. Once a permit is issued and approved, it is technically "approved by the Building Inspection Chief."

I advised Steve to go get a permit and that will be accepted. He did this on Friday and then went to MCCD to get that piece of paper from them stating he had the right to be on the condemned property. He got told that no, he had to show them a drawing done by a shoring engineer before they would give him permission to be on the property. That he has a permit on and so it is now his legal job site making him responsible for what happens on that job site. Remember, the MCCD's job is to make things safe. The purpose of the mothballing is to make things safe and yet, they are ignoring both the law and common sense to make it impossible to make this structure safe for the general public.

Is there any doubt that the MCCD is out of control?

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:15 am

Nope....not one bit Joe. We will continue to fight!
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 am

photo from 1985

from Springfield heritage Education Center website
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Received from the Doctor's agent today via email:

Not sure if everyone heard but all the permits are approved through the Building Department and Code Enforcement, so Steve has informed me that work will commence Thursday if all goes as plan.

Thanks again for all your help.

CA

:D
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

karla
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by karla » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 am

iloveionia wrote:Received from the Doctor's agent today via email:

Not sure if everyone heard but all the permits are approved through the Building Department and Code Enforcement, so Steve has informed me that work will commence Thursday if all goes as plan.

Thanks again for all your help.

CA

:D
Hallelujah!!