New Life to Dancy

Moderator: Board Members

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

New Life to Dancy

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Preservation SOS was approached in September by MetroNorth with the idea of developing Dancy Terrace. Since PSOS owns 8 of the bungalows, Metro North wanted us to embrace their project. And, to a certain extent, we have.

Their plan is to purchase all 24 bungalows (at appraised value per NSP guidelines) and renovate using the federal funds. Each bungalow will receive roughly 80k to renovate, which will be more than adequate to have a quality renovation.

That's a lot of money going into this project.

Of course, of great concern to Metro North is the parking situation. The alleyways can be utilized, but with an agreement with PSOS, no bungalows can be torn down. This leads us to the controversial aspect of this project. MetroNorth proposes to have a "lane" down the middle of the bungalows for access for the residents.

Pictured below is the plan.

I don't think anyone celebrates the idea of the lane down the middle and certainly PSOS doesn't either. However, we see this plan as a great chance to save the bungalows from further deterioration and defer to the historic planning commissioners to make this call.

PSOS will benefit, financially, from this project. That money will go toward further preservation projects in the neighborhood.

This project goes before the Historic Planning Commission this month for an "Opinion of Appropriateness". This is just a way to ask the commissioners what they think.

There are many potential problems to this plan. It hinges on MetroNorth's ability to own all of the bungalows and get HPC approval. Both of these are significant hurdles.

But we are guardedly optimistic for Dancy and for the bungalows to be filled with life once more.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: New Life to Dancy

Post by Gloria » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 am

Met a man, Charles, at Dancy yesterday. Saw a truck out front and stopped. He owns the end unit, NE side. He has friends who own the others. We spoke and he asked me to pass his info on to MetroNorth. I think he'd be willing to sell to them.
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

movedsouth
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by movedsouth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Hailing finally got a copy of the PUD documents from the city. I will scan them and post them to our website later. But here some of the highlights:
- it appears there was an actual street, maybe a dead-end street between the bungalows. The PUD descriptions references replacing it with a sidewalk. I think this may explain that part of the center walkway is brick and part concrete, and the two parts don't line up.
- The plan includes 4 gazebos in the middle. This is why there are no gaps in the sidewalk.
- The angled parking along 9th and 10th was NOT approved. The traffic engineer had issues with the use of public space for private parking, and I think there isn't enough space. There is no parking required as it is considered part of downtown.
- the PUD is for residential use only.
- There is supposed to be a home owners association to be set up as the lots are sold to take care of maintenance of the common areas.

movedsouth
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by movedsouth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:22 pm

the documents are scanned and can be downloaded here: https://sites.google.com/a/preservation ... cy-terrace (bottom of the page)

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm

The alley can be gated.
With access to city and emergency.