1232 N. Laura Street

Stop by and introduce yourself

Moderator: Board Members

jenn_8675309

1232 N. Laura Street

Post by jenn_8675309 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:51 am

Hello all, I am back again to see if I can get more information on a property. I am trying to get an appointment to see the home on Tuesday, but I'd like to get you guys' input before then.
So, what can you guys tell me about the above address? It is a beautiful place, but needs some TLC. The listing says that it has a basement, that worries me, but if properly maintained I suppose can be ok. I like that it has a potential income property and an additional lot. It'd be nice to have a place to live while I work on the main house, then an extra bit of income later.
TIA! :D

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 1232 N. Laura Street

Post by iloveionia » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Is this the large brick one?
West side of Laura?
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:30 pm

iloveionia wrote:Is this the large brick one?
West side of Laura?
Yes, it is a large brick house with white trim on N. Laura, between 2nd and 3rd.

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:01 am

I wasn't even aware that property was for sale. I've not been inside it but from the outside it appears to be a GREAT property! I would not worry too much about the basement. Let us know when you've been inside and what you think.
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks, I have an appointment to see the inside of the house tomorrow late afternoon. I purchased the book about Jacksonville Architecture a while back. I was happy to see that this was one of the houses listed. Too bad that the original tile roof was removed :cry: I have no idea what the cost of a replacement roof Tiles vs. shingles would be.

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by iloveionia » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:37 pm

$20k for the roof minimum.
Yes. Please share pics. Who is the listing agent? I didn't realize it was sale either!
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 am

iloveionia wrote:$20k for the roof minimum.
Yes. Please share pics. Who is the listing agent? I didn't realize it was sale either!
I was guessing between $20-$30K for a new shingle roof, tile would probably be double. I believe the listing agent is Brian Brown, through Third and Main. There seems to be quite a few restrictions on this showing, what you can and cannot see, so I don't know how well it's going to go...

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I was able to tour the house this evening. I'm going to walk you guys through...The entry is beautiful, the fireplace gives it a grand feeling to me. The floors throughout the first floor are an original parquet with a beautiful inlay border, they need some minor patching. The trim on the first floor is stained a nice color and 99% intact. The staircase seemed to be in good shape. There is one set of pocket doors, and a french door going into the front room (parlor?) and another into the living room. In between the living and dining room there are columns and built ins. The dining room has another fireplace with the original surround. The kitchen has been updated and has ceramic tile. There is a back staircase and a small laundry area.

The basement was dry, but most of the windows are either broken or missing, so that could be some of the water problem. It was hard to see much, there is a lot of stuff stored down there.

The second floor had original floors, doors, all of the trim (painted), 2 more original fireplaces, and everything was in OK condition. There was a lot of peeling ceiling paint, but I think that was just poor quality paint and nothing too serious. The hall bath has a claw foot tub, the master bath has a newer tub and shower. There are 4 bedrooms, an office, and 2 large Closets (?) on the second floor.

Overall the house is beautiful and has all of the space (and then some) and detail that I am looking for. It, however, does not show well. I was not able to get into the back yard nor the garage and apartment.

Just from my tour I can see an easy $100K needed for repairs. The restoration would be mostly cosmetic. It needs a roof, the electrical is questionable, plumbing probably the same, it needs HVAC (every room had window AC and space heaters), and the basement may be a BIG problem.

Overall it is an AMAZING house and has potential. If I had the budget I would buy it. The $244K asking price, plus $150K ish cost to bring it back to it's former glory is just too much for me.

JaxUnicorn

Post by JaxUnicorn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:12 am

Wow, thanks for taking the time to tell us about it! It does sound like a great property with a pretty hefty purchase price. Maybe they will lower the price after a bit and you'll still be looking! But in the meantime, there are many other properties in Springfield that are available for less money. Keep looking!!
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:24 am

JaxUnicorn wrote:Wow, thanks for taking the time to tell us about it! It does sound like a great property with a pretty hefty purchase price. Maybe they will lower the price after a bit and you'll still be looking! But in the meantime, there are many other properties in Springfield that are available for less money. Keep looking!!
I have asked for another showing with the homeowner present. He has a VERY large aggressive dog, who does a great job protecting the property and letting strangers (me and my Realtor) know they're not welcome :o so we could not get to the backyard and garage/apartment. I will say as a warning to others viewing the property, this dog almost made his way into the house through an unsecured back door. Luckily one of us was close enough to the door to push it closed and lock it. It was similar to the movie Cujo, very frighting for both of us.