Hello Everyone

Stop by and introduce yourself

Moderator: Board Members

Debbie Thompson
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by Debbie Thompson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Disagree with Ionia slightly. A home inspection is only $350. Yes, get a contractor to walk it with you too. But a good home inspection still doesn't hurt.

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:36 am

Sorry I disappeared for so long. I have been working hard to get my house ready for the market. I have to sell before I can buy ;)

I will be on the hunt for a GC that is familiar with old homes. I want to see everything available before I decide, so which ever Realtor I choose has their work cut out for them! Question...are the GC's usually patient enough to walk through multiple properties so that I can see what is and is not doable for me and my budget? Also, if anyone wants to give me some names I would greatly appreciate it. I am more of a word of mouth kinda person when it comes to contractors. I have dealt with bad ones who did shoddy work and learned my lessons the hard way. I just had both of my bathrooms re-tiled by a guy that came highly recommended. His work far exceeded my expectations, and I can sometimes be hard to please :D

Gloria
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Post by Gloria » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Jenn!

Actually Joe and I are contractors and we do a lot of work in Springfield. Problem you will have right now is that the contractors are all pretty busy. I know that we are not able to take on any additional work at this time.

I would suggest you contact SPAR and RAP and see who is working on historic properties now.

Prices are quickly going up, everything from plywood to carpenters and especially insurance. I priced out flooring in June and when I placed my order yesterday, the price had increased by 30%. It is tough to nail down a price. And for a big job, your contractor may give you a price when the job begins, but materials could go up substantially during the 6 to 9 months it takes to renovate an old house. This is one reason why we bid jobs time and material. Believe me, you don't want your contractor upside down on your job. He will adjust quality very quickly to compensate.

If I can help you answer any questions, I'd be happy to.

Good luck on house searching!
"To create a little flower is the labour of ages" William Blake

jenn_8675309

Post by jenn_8675309 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Again I am apologizing for a late response. I just changed my settings so that I get notification via email when someone posts.

I will be listing my house within the next couple of weeks. Between the holidays and a last minute 2 week visit from my Mom, she gets here Monday, I just haven't had time to make the finishing touches to list it.

Gloria, I am jealous! I would love work on these old homes, bringing them back to life. I just had both of my bathrooms done and my tile guy had to squeeze me in, he is swamped though May/June. He is a GC (with no historic home experience), he said that all of his subs are booked out a few months. It's a good thing though, busy means money! I own a manufacturing business on Spearing Street and we are truly blessed, business is growing steadily and much faster than projected. Buying the new building on Spearing has opened so many doors for us.