1232 N. Laura Street

Stop by and introduce yourself

Moderator: Board Members

jmarkusic
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Re: 1232 N. Laura Street

Postby jmarkusic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:30 am

Sorry, I just saw this. I had to go look at a street Google view to be sure as I did not recognize the address but we worked on this house several times years ago. The House was and is a great house with many of the original features still intact. That is, as you may guess, a two edged sword. For many of the features to remain this long without a total restoration, some of the old systems also end up still in place. So there is some amount of knob and tube and some among of older plumbing still in place. It has been about 11 to 12 years since we worked on the house so I can not comment on the condition of things today, just when various things were done and how they were done.

First floor, we restored part of the original configuration to the main living areas. As it was offices and used as a woman's clinic for a long time, the pockets doors had been removed and some walls added. Unless they had the floors completely refinished, when we worked on the house, you could still see the small indents when plastic under deck "protectors" were and paths through the place from the indents made by woman's high heeled shoes. In any case, the pocket doors are not original, we made them. Same with the columns, ETC. Most of the original first floor trim, like the coffered ceiling, was faux painted rather than stripped and poly'd. The Kitchen was new Cherry cabinets in about 2001 or so. During this time period, some of the wiring was redone as was the plumbing newly installed for the kitchen. Some of the plumbing had been redone before we ever worked on the house so I believe the the majority of the house was replumbed by 2003. I also seem to remember new service added by then as well so what will remain of the knob and tube, for instance, will be between floors in most cases.

The fact that the second floor also has the inlaid floor is an indication of how wealthy the original owners were - it was costly to do and most houses with it only has it on the more public first floor areas. We did the Master bath in about 2002 or 2003 and was the last thing we did to the house. It required a completely new floor structure and all new plumbing and wiring for that part of the house.

A good rule of thumb is to go to the Building Inspection site on COJ and enter the address. You can than see all the permits pulled since at least the 90's. Always a good indication of whether things were done right or not.

You sort of implied that it would need a new roof, if so, then to do the tile would probably be in the $50K range. You can certainly go back with shingles as it has shingles today. As far as updating the house further, unless they have been hard on it or it needs new structural work, it should not need $150K worth of work to be a great place to live. Of course, that is all dependent upon your personal tastes and budget as you could certainly spend even more.

If you have any questions about the work we did on the house, I would be happy to answer.

Joe
Glory Homes, Inc.

jenn_8675309

Postby jenn_8675309 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks Joe for all of the great info! My guesstimate of $150K was including a tile roof for the main house and the garage/apartment. An assumption that the electrical would need to be redone. The light fixture in the upstairs hall bath did not have a box and was hanging from the ceiling and the switch on the wall did not operate the light. The panel in the basement looked like there were add-ons made, and there were a bunch of extension cords ran throughout the house. The sump system in the basement may need to be replaced, the pump seemed very old. Also new HVAC with duct work for the house and I'm assuming the apartment.

I have asked for another showing on the condition that I could see the back of the house and the garage and apartment. Would you consider walking through a second showing with me and give your professional opinion?

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Postby iloveionia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks for all the details. Gorgeous! Joe, thanks for the history.
There are plenty of dreams to be had in Spfld. You want a fixer upper? Or one done?
I know a house that is for sale by owner on east 3rd. Lovely. And a great block. Not in mls.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

jenn_8675309

Postby jenn_8675309 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:21 pm

iloveionia wrote:Thanks for all the details. Gorgeous! Joe, thanks for the history.
There are plenty of dreams to be had in Spfld. You want a fixer upper? Or one done?
I know a house that is for sale by owner on east 3rd. Lovely. And a great block. Not in mls.

I would like a project, but need to be realistic about how large of a project. I think I have to cross this one off of my list, for now anyways. I asked for another showing with a few requests and was told not unless I put it under contract. To me it would be silly to sign a contract before I am able to get a better idea of the amount of work to be done. Oh well, there are plenty of homes to look at.

I am going Wednesday to look at a house on N. Pearl, one on W. 10th, and another on E. 2nd, each at various stages of completion. I walked around the outside of N. Pearl this afternoon, I see real potential :D

iloveionia
Preservation SOS Member
Preservation SOS Member

Postby iloveionia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:10 am

There is a darling home on Perry and 7th. Little bungalow with all original details. $125,000 or something like that. Loads of potential. A good realtor should be able to navigate you through everything, especially one of the ones from Spfld.
Nicole Lopez

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” A.A. Milne

JaxUnicorn

Postby JaxUnicorn » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:05 am

jenn_8675309 wrote: I would like a project, but need to be realistic about how large of a project.

How large of a project?? :)
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

jenn_8675309

Postby jenn_8675309 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:51 am

JaxUnicorn wrote:
jenn_8675309 wrote: I would like a project, but need to be realistic about how large of a project.

How large of a project?? :)

JaxUnicorn you'd think yours would be an easy question to answer, but now that I think about it it's hard to describe. I have looked at a couple dozen houses over the past 2 or so years in various condition. I want a house with good bones, if that makes any sense. I don't mind replacing the roof, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc...In a perfect world it would still have most of the original details, fire place surround, trim, doors. I'd like to stay around 2K sq. ft or larger. My budget is around $240, depending on the house.

This will be my first "restoration", but not my first project. I have completely remodeled and updated my current home, 2200 sq. ft. built about 1961. In 2013 I purchased a commercial building, just outside of Springfield, built in 1950, for my business. I have since finished the 1200 sq. ft. of office space and 18,000 sq. ft. of warehouse to suit my business. I have zero historic restoration experience, but not new to projects ;)

JaxUnicorn

Postby JaxUnicorn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:58 pm

jenn_8675309, I have a project for you! And I have lots of historic restoration knowledge and can help walk you through the red tape. If you'd like to talk about it, give me a call. Or heck, if you'd just like to talk preservation and Springfield, give me a call. :wink:

Kim
(904) 465-1555
~Kim Pryor
"It is what it is...."

Return to “Welcome to Preservation SOS”